Saturday, November 21, 2009

Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe



My dear K. celebrated his umpteenth birthday last Friday. He wondered if I'd bake him a cake that he could take along and share with his colleagues during the day. At first he asked me to bake my Manhattan cheesecake, but then we remembered how much his colleagues had enjoyed a dense chocolate and lingonberry cake I made few weeks ago, and decided to try a chocolate cheesecake instead. The recipe below is based on a chocolate cheesecake recipe published in the November issue of Food & Travel, but I've changed the base completely, as trust me, there is such thing as too much chocolate :)

It was delicious, very rich and dense. It's rather sweet, so you should serve this with some nice raspberries or perhaps a generous spoonful of spicy crab-apple marmalade (on the photo) to counter-balance the sweetness a bit.

Chocolate Cheesecake
(Šokolaadi-toorjuustukook)
Serves 10 to 12

Crumb base:
175 g Digestive biscuits
2 Tbsp cacao powder
75 g butter, melted

Topping:
4 large eggs
100 g sugar
800 g full-fat Philadelphia cream cheese, at room temperature!
1 tsp vanilla extract
200 g dark chocolate (min 70% cocoa solids)

Process the cookies until fine crumbs, mix with cocoa powder and melted butter. Press onto the base of a lined 26 cm springform tin.
Cut the chocolate into small pieces, then melt in a bowl set over a barely simmering water, until chocolate is melted (stir every now and then). Cool a little.
Whisk the eggs and sugar until thick and pale foam forms. Then add the soft cream cheese, vanilla extract and finally stir in the melted chocolate. Stir, until combined, then pour over the crumb base.
Bake in a prehreated 160 C oven for one hour, until set.
Remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving.

9 comments:

Alanna Kellogg said...

Very pretty, a fitting cake for an umpteenth birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to K! Your Choclate Cheesecake looks scrumptious!

Paz

Valentina said...

I wonder if i would find crab apple marmelade around here.

webmaster said...

VERY GOOD

best steak online

Kat said...

oi,nämma. Kindlasti proovin seda, inspireerisid mind täiega :)

Unknown said...

Hi, I've just found your blog - its terrific. I'm always looking for fresh new things to cook or new ways to cook traditional foods. I'm going to enjoy your choc. cheesecake (happy belated bday, K) tomorrow, on Thanksgiving here in PA, USA. BTW, a happy surprise for me in seeing where you are from - my mother is Estonian. I have never met any others though my children have met other American-Estonian students (and Canadian-Estonian) at college. I have often looked up traditional Estonian recipes online. Perhaps if needed I will use you as a source in the future! :) Best wishes, Lori

Pille said...

Alanna - indeed :)

Paz - thank you!

Valentina - don't think so - I made mine myself :) But any slightly acidic fruit coulis would work perfectly well!

Drpapi - ta'

Kat - rõõm kuulda!

Unknown said...

I made this for Thanksgiving and it was everyone's favorite! I will definitely be making this again!! Thank you :o)

philippine cakes said...

Omg! my tummy getting hungry i love it so much it looks very delicious. :)

vee