Friday, October 02, 2009

Roasted Peaches with Basil Butter



I've briefly mentioned this dish before on Nami-Nami, but as I only now have a decent photo of the dish, I'm writing about it again. Hope you don't mind :)

I got the recipe from Shauna's blog back in the summer of 2005, just months into my food blogging. The original recipe is from The New York Times. I made it couple of times back then, and have been making it again and again. Roasting peaches makes them much sweeter and softer - a blessing when you can only buy long-haul fruit that have been picked way too early. The good thing, you see, is that you can successfully make this dish with slightly underripe fruit as well..

Roasted Peaches with Basil Butter
(Küpsetatud virsikud basiilikuvõiga)

peaches
fresh basil leaves
butter
brown sugar
cinnamon

Halve the peaches and remove the stone (you may wish to hollow out the centre to fit the filling better, but I must admit I've never bothered with it). Place the peaches on an oven dish, cut-side up. Tear some basil leaves into smaller pieces and place onto the "holes", alongside with a generous pinch of brown sugar, and a small piece of butter (say, half a tsp per peach half). Dust with cinnamon.

Bake in the middle of a preheated 200 C / 400 F oven for about 20-25 minutes, until the peaches are soft and the topping slightly caramelised.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of softly whipped cream.

5 comments:

in niveus said...

MMMMM....Must wait for Georgia peaches to try this one......found your blog whilst searching for a copy of Olive and Caper....no peaches on Nantucket, but we are an island of dreamers


Cat

Lana said...

The Basil adds an amazing touch. They were fabulous! Keep the great recipes coming!

Johanna GGG said...

looks fantastic - I will be keeping this for when the first hard peaches arrive this summer

Anonymous said...

I like the sound and look of this.

Paz

Esma said...

hello I really enjoyed your website.It seems that you are interested in other countries cuisines but I felt sorry that there is nothing Turkish.I am student here for this semester and I would like to learn some about Estonian cuisine.And I also want to learn where can I go to pick up berries and mushrooms.Thank you.....