Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Another pumpkin jam, this time with flowering quinces



My loyal readers may remember that photo collage of flowering quinces from last summer, when I made flowering quince extract and flowering-quince and apple jam. Well, I made several other jams using flowering quinces from my mum's backyard this autumn. One of our favourite ones was this pumpkin jam (yep, just as nice as this ginger and pumpkin jam) . It's a lovely thick jam - flowering quinces are very high in pectin, with a beautiful yellow colour (well, it's mostly pumpkin after all), with a nice acidity lended by the flowering quinces. Another excellent jam to be spread on your breakfast or afternoon toast or English muffin.

NB! Note that flowering quince (Chaenomeles Lindl) and quince (Cydonia oblonga) are related, but NOT the same fruit (quite confusingly, all quinces flower, but that's another topic altogether).

Cleaning flowering-quinces for jam-making can be quite a pain. The fruit are hard and small. The best result is to find a comfortable place to sit on, put on your favourite album or switch on your favourite TV channel. Place three bowls in front of you - one filled with washed floweringquinces, one smaller bowl for piths and seeds, and one for cleaned flowering quince slices. Take a small, sharp knife (a vegetable peeling knife works well), and work away :)

Pumpkin Jam with Flowering Quinces
(Kõrvitsa-ebaküdooniamoos)



1 kg pumpkin flesh, cut into small cubes
1 kg flowering quinces, deseeded and cut into quarters
500 ml (2 cups) of water
1 kg caster sugar

Place the pumpkin and flowering quinces into a large saucepan. Add water. Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes, skimming any froth that appears on the surface. Stir every now and then.
Add sugar and bring to the boil again. Remove from the heat and cool.
Bring everything to the boil again and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring every now and then, until the pumpkin is soft and the jam has thickened.
Distribute into hot sterilised jars and close. Keep in a cool place.

5 comments:

Siri said...

I just discovered your blog today & I'm SO glad that I did! I came across it when I did a search on Cloudberries. Your tastes seem to be right up my alley and you take great photos on top of it. I might mention that I spent a week-long study trip in Estonia (a few years ago, before you were in the EU) and found Tallin to be a really charming town with great food. I'll be sure to keep up with your posts.

ChichaJo said...

ove all your jams Pille and this is no exception...sounds delicious!

Andrew said...

Dont recall every seeing flowering quince in the UK. 'Normal' quince indeed and I've made a couple of small jars of membrillo this year but flowering quince...

Marie said...

Lovely post about quince - one of my favourite fruit (cydonia) and flowers (chaenomeles!).

Thank you ...

Pille said...

Siri - it's always nice to 'meet' somebody who's been to Tallinn & Estonia - welcome!!

ChicaJo - oh, you're so sweet!!

Andrew - I'd be surprised if they sold the fruit, but you might want to peek into your neighbourgh's back garden :)

Marie - thank you!!