Friday, June 13, 2008

Estonian Deviled Eggs Recipe



There are plenty of recipes for devilled eggs on the blogosphere (just check out this). But you know what - I think the way I make them is just enough different to justify yet another blog post on these :)

There are actually two major 'schools' of making devilled eggs in Estonia - one using something similar to canned anchovy liquid to season the egg yolk filling, the other one prefering mustard. I belong to the latter 'school'. Here's my usual recipe, and I do make these quite frequently for various festive tables - most recently for my birthday, alongside these cute quail egg mushrooms, where they were devoured by the kids and grown-ups alike..

Deviled Eggs, Estonian style
(Täidetud munad)*
Makes 12

6 medium or large organic eggs, boiled**
50 grams butter, not too cold
1 to 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 to 2 tsp strong mustard
salt, to taste

To garnish:
fresh parsley or dill, finely chopped
fresh or frozen cranberries or redcurrants

Peel the boiled eggs and halve lenghtwise along the middle. Scoop out the yolks.
Mash the butter with egg yolks (either press both through the sieve grate finely - I do the latter). Stir in mayonnaise and mustard, season with salt.
For a nicer finish, put the mixture into an icing bag with a serrated tip and fill the egg white 'bowls' with the egg yolk filling.
Garnish and keep in the fridge until serving.

* They're simply known as 'filled eggs' or 'stuffed eggs' in Estonian.

** Use whatever perfected egg-boiling method you prefer. I leave my eggs at room temperature for an hour before boiling. I then place them in a pan filled with water, bring to the boil and boil for 7 minutes. After that, I quickly cool them under cold running water. Always works for me, but you can check out what Alanna or Elise or Kalyn or Thredahlia are doing.

12 comments:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I've never met a deviled egg I didn't love!

Anonymous said...

Delicious! Glad you made it back home safely.

Paz

Kalyn Denny said...

I'm crazy about deviled eggs of every type! Love the pretty garnish. Welcome home!

ChichaJo said...

We always seem to have an overflow of eggs here...I'll add this to our ways to use them! Sounds delicious Pille :) And I have yet to attempt deviled eggs (hard to believe!) :)

lobstersquad said...

I love that. with their colour scheme, they look a little Spanish

Grace Ediza Virlouvet said...

Wow! Stunning.. I'm gonna add this to my wishlist.. dunno when I can make this but definitely I would.

David T. Macknet said...

Very interesting - I've never considered using butter with the yolks, but it makes total sense, when you think about eating soft-boiled eggs with butter. Hmm ... may have to give this a try! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I adore deviled eggs and will certainly try this recipe! Glad you go home safely and it was delightful to meet you.

Anonymous said...

I love all deviled eggs! Thanks for sharing!

Pille said...

Lydia - I've met some, but not many :)

Paz - it was great seeing you in NY!

Kalyn - the red "dot" brightens up the dish indeed!

ChichaJo - have you had a chance to try devilled eggs now?

Ximena - indeed :)

Grace - thank you!

DaviMack - I love warm boiled eggs with butter and sea salt flakes!!!

Ann - it was great meeting you, too!

Deviled Egg - it'd be weird if you didn't like them (with a name like that :))

Carla said...

This is how I do my Deviled Eggs now and we LOVE them!!!! :)

Alanna Kellogg said...

Butter -- it's my new go-go ingredients for deviled eggs! I used a mixture of butter and 0% Greek yogurt and mayo and the texture and flavor were excellent-excellent. Thanks for the inspiration!!